Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments."

This is so true, and I'm learning to apply this little quote in my day to day life. My pastor, Brother Holmes, preaches a lot about taking your flesh by the nape of the neck and making yourself do things that you don't want to do, whether it be praying everyday (yes, I think we all struggle with this at one point or another), fasting, getting a college degree, or cleaning your house. Sometimes we have to push our flesh to do things that we don't want to do. Usually the things we don't want to do are the things we should do, and the things we want to do are the things we shouldn't do.

Brother Holmes is so full of wisdom, and if there's anybody I'd love to pattern my life after it would be Brother Holmes. Prayer is another thing that he preaches about all of the time. It's something so simple, yet so incredibly life changing. If you take 30 minutes, just 30 minutes, out of your day to pray you'd be amazed at the results. $100,000 may not fall out of the heavens, and you may not get a brand new car or house, but the peaceful, joyful, clean feeling you have inside is irreplaceable.

Also another thing that Brother Holmes talks about a lot is God blessing our effort. God blesses effort! If you're wanting to start your own business, get your hands on as many books as you can and study. If you need a job, put on your best dress and hit the streets. I know from experience that God truly does bless our efforts, and for that I'm so thankful.

So, I hope these little tidbits of wisdom help you in the days to come, because they've sure helped me tremendously. Brother Holmes is one of the greatest examples of godliness and I'm so thankful for my pastor!

Oh, and one more thing that I think is so good to learn: Take care of the things that God has given you! You may not have a decked out Hummer or a brand new home, but that doesn't matter to God. He expects you to take care of the things he has entrusted to you. Even if your car is old, wash it and keep it clean (I'm still learning that one), and even if your furniture isn't brand new, make sure people don't spill food on it and the kids don't jump on it.

4 comments:

Mary Frances said...

Hey! This was really inspiring to me! I NEEDED to hear it! Thanks!!!
♥Mary :)

Kim said...

Amen! so true, thank you!

Anonymous said...

Oh Stacie, this was a great post!
We ARE truly blessed with a Pastor full of wisdom and a sincere love & concern for his flock! I know you have learned things under Pastor Holmes that you can take with you where ever life may lead you for years to come! =) *sniff*
~Karen

Fox & Willow said...

Mary - I think we all need to hear this at one point or another! Glad you enjoyed the post. :)

Kim - :) Love you, Kim!

Sis. Karen - You're so right! Believe me, I've learned so many incredible things from Brother Holmes that I'll always cherish and never forget. Never! And I second that *sniff.* :( I love your family!